If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (951) 222-2224

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electrical Fires Can Cause Extensive Fire Damage to Riverside Properties

7/1/2021 (Permalink)

gray bunny with a chewed clear wire next to it Keep an eye on your pets so they don't chew on any electrical cords!

SERVPRO Offers Electrical Fire Damage Restoration Services

Have you experienced a pet who has chewed through an electrical cord?  This is a personal experience from one of our employees.  This cute fluffy pet bunny named FooFoo was adopted without them knowing she had a chewing fixation.  The employee noticed one day that one of her table lamps was not turning on at all, she checked the cord to make sure it was plugged in all the way, and to her shock, the cord literally shocked her, it was all chewed up!  The number one suspect was FooFoo!  Has one of your beloved pets chewed on an electrical cord?  Here are some interesting facts to keep in mind regarding electrical fires.

Statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration indicate that electrical fires account for about 7 percent of all residential fires in the country. This figure becomes much more significant when scaled down to a specific location like Riverside. In most cases, the fire occurs from increased use of lights and heating appliances and usually starts in the bedroom. However, the highest number of fatalities (i.e., injuries and even deaths) come from fires happening in the family room, living room, and den.

When it comes to electrical fires, you cannot afford to be tolerant. You need to contact a locally based fire damage restoration company, such as SERVPRO of East Riverside City, to start the mitigation process as fast as possible. Some electrical fires happen due to appliance failure or problems in house wiring, but many are a result of simple mistakes such as overloading extension cords or electrical outlets. Whatever the case, our IICRC-certified technicians have the tools and expertise to reverse the damage as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Research on fire damage events has shown that faulty wiring is the leading cause of electrical fires in most homes. If your house is at least two decades old, it is highly likely to have faulty wiring behind the walls. Rodents such as rats, mice, and squirrels (and sometimes rabbits), can find their way into these spaces and chew on electrical cords, increasing the risk of a fire disaster.

We also deal with many instances of electrical fire damage resulting from shoddy installation. Home building trades are flooding with professionals who cut corners to save time or money, including electricians. On the other hand, overloading an older electrical system with modern electrical devices can prove to be too overwhelming, leading to damages on your wiring, appliances, and even breaker boxes.

Holiday seasons are associated with the most house fires resulting from misusing extension cords. Generally, an extension cord should only serve as a temporary solution, especially when it comes to plugging several things in at once. Apart from overloading extension cords, using a frayed power cord can also lead to serious fire damage. Indeed, electricity can escape through the holes in the cord and set the surrounding materials ablaze.

In the event of an electrical fire, make sure that everyone is safe and then contact SERVPRO of East Riverside City as quickly as possible to deal with the fire damage. Electrical fires come with many hidden safety hazards, so it is important to allow trained restoration experts to come in and assess the situation.

SERVPRO®  of East Riverside City is here to help you 24/7/365 with any fire damage and restoration issue.

Please call us at 951-222-2224

Other News

View Recent Posts